It’s not always easy to eat enough oily fish, and it can be difficult to find easy and delicious low carb foods for lunch and snacks. This recipe ticks both boxes, and it’s almost too easy to call a recipe:
- 1 pack/3 or 4 fillets plain smoked mackerel
- 1 tub cream cheese, preferably organic (about 150g)
- 1 or 2 tsp strong creamed horseradish (to taste)
- Juice of half a lemon
- Generous twist of fresh black pepper
- Fresh chopped dill or parsley, if you happen to have any
- Separate the mackerel flesh from the skin and bones.
- Add to a medium sized bowl with the cream cheese, horseradish, lemon juice and pepper, stirring and mashing it all together with a fork until you reach your desired consistency.
- Snip a few herbs into it with kitchen scissors and gently mix through.
- It will keep for several days in the fridge.
For nibbles: Serve on cucumber or courgette rounds, or on low carb gluten free crackers if you happen to be able to find some.
For lunch: pile into the middle of an avocado, or load onto celery sticks or little gem leaves.