I’m always on the lookout for delicious and economical mid-week suppers and these hit the spot – they would also work well as part of a tapas-style feast. I served them last night with some fennel and orange slaw and some tahini yoghurt laced with chillies. They also taste good cold!
- 400g organic minced lamb
- 50g pistachio kernels
- 50g fresh mint leaves
- 1 medium onion
- 1 clove garlic
- generous pinch of sea salt
- ground black pepper
- Place a large frying pan or skillet over a medium heat on the hob.
- Blitz the pistachios in the food processor until quite finely ground and place in a large bowl. It’s OK if there are a few larger bits of pistachio left.
- Do the same with the mint leaves, the onion and the garlic.
- Add the lamb mince, salt and pepper to the bowl and squidge it all together until it’s a relatively homogenous mixture.
- Divide the mixture up into 6 or 8 patties and place them onto the heated pan for about 5 minutes each side, turning them when you can see that the underside has started to caramelise. There is no need to add any fat to the pan.
- Remove the patties from the heat and let them rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a dish of Greek yoghurt laced with a dessertspoon of tahini and some fresh chilli stirred into it.
- Eat with salad or roasted vegetables.
You could mix it up in many different ways: rocket or basil instead of mint, almonds, hazelnuts or pumpkin seeds instead of pistachios, leek instead of onion, a touch of fresh chilli, or some cumin or caraway seeds.