I first tasted this slaw during a trip to Bologna several years ago, and it quickly became one of my favourite side dishes. A perfect accompaniment to fish, chicken or red meat, it works just as well without the olives.
- 1 bulb fennel
- 3 inches white leek
- 1 orange
- 20-ish pitted black olives (I prefer Crespo)
- Small bunch of parsley
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Slice the fennel and leek against the grain using a sharp knife, mandolin or food processor, and place in a large bowl with the olive oil.
- Peel the orange, cut into each segment across the outer membrane, turn it inside out and pull out the orange filling. Place it in the bowl with the fennel.
- Take a small segment of the peel and slice very finely and add to the slaw.
- Using scissors, chop your pitted olives into thin hoops.
- Snip the parsley into the bowl add some salt and pepper to taste and toss everything together.