Inspired by a recent visit to Juliet’s (my favourite Tunbridge Wells café) this salad is the perfect accompaniment to grilled or barbecued meats; tonight it is going to sidle up to a grilled lamb chop from Speaight’s butcher. To me, supper doesn’t get any better than this! However, this salad would also make a delicious and nutritious lunch. Hope you like it as much as we did!
- half a block of haloumi chopped into 4mm slices
- 1 little gem lettuce
- 1 ripe avocado
- 2 sticks celery chopped into crescents
- 1 or 2 spring onion sliced finely
- 6 strawberries cut into sixths
- fresh mint leaves torn into pieces
- balsamic vinegar and XVOO to dress
- sprinkle of pink peppercorns because they look nice
- Place the haloumi in a medium-hot frying pan and dry fry until it’s gently golden on both sides.
- Wash and dry the lettuce and place in a salad bowl.
- Slice the avocado, celery, onion and strawberries and arrange on top of the lettuce
- Add the mint leaves, peppercorns, vinegar and olive oil.
You could alter the herb to make it work better with different protein choices, e.g. chicken/tarragon, fish/coriander. It could also work well with mango, fig or pomegranate in place of the strawberries.
I also made a dressing in my Nutribullet with some fresh mint leaves, 4 cherry tomatoes, some XVOO, some sherry and a pinch of salt. It was FAB!