If you’re still searching for a low carb, gluten free, dessert that doesn’t taste like any of the above, then look no further. There are several versions of this online and I’ve adapted it for taste and quantity. I’ve made this delicious tart three times now and love seeing people’s faces change as they taste it. It really hits the spot. As an added bonus, you can make it in 20 minutes flat, I kid you not.
- FOR THE BASE
- 175g unsweetened desiccated coconut
- 3 organic egg whites
- 3 tbsp Xylitol
- butter for greasing
- FOR THE TOP
- 4 organic egg yolks
- 1 egg white
- 4 tbsp Xylitol
- 300ml double cream
- finely grated zest of 4 lemons
- juice of 2 lemons
- berries to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 180’C.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the coconut, 3 egg whites and 3 tbsp of Xylitol, and press into the base of a lightly-greased springform or loose-bottomed tin (one that has a good seal).
- Bake in the oven for 5-10 minutes until the top goes slightly golden.
- Meanwhile in the same bowl if you like, beat the egg yolks with the extra white and the xylitol for a couple of minutes until they turn paler and more frothy, then stir in the cream.
- Add the lemon juice and zest and combine thoroughly.
- When the tart base comes out of the oven, pour the custard mixture on top and place back into the oven for about 15 minutes or until you see the edges starting to firm up. It’s fine if the middle is still quite wobbly looking.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool before refrigerating for at least an hour to let the custard firm up before removing from the tin. (It also works well made the day before.)
- Sprinkle the top with raspberries and serve.
- Use half desiccated coconut and half coconut flour if you want a firmer, more pastry-like base.
- Add 50g of grated dark chocolate or 2 heaped tsp of cocoa powder to the base if you want a Bounty flavour with your lemon.