Ideas for low carb nibbles can be difficult to come by. This is my latest offering and I’m told they’re delicious. They are also very easy to make.
Ingredients for 24
- 1 large chorizo sausage – I used the Artesano Chorizo Iberico from Waitrose
- 1 dozen quail’s eggs
- 1 pouch Crespo pitted dry black olives (tried and tested favourite)
- 24 cocktail sticks
- Slice the chorizo into 24 x 0.5cm coins and place on a baking sheet in a 180’C oven for 10 minutes or until starting to bubble and turn slightly darker. Allow to cool then blot away any excess oils.
- Place the quail’s eggs carefully into a pan before covering with boiling water and simmering for 10 minutes. Pour off the water, fill with cold water and allow to cool.
- Shell the quails eggs (I find it’s easier to do it with my hands under a slightly running tap or a bowl of cold water) and cut them in half longways.
- Thread an olive half way up a cocktail stick, then skewer half a quails egg through the middle of the yolk, and finally embed the stick into a piece of chorizo.
- Repeat 23 more times and serve!
Delicious with a glass of dry fino or amontillado sherry – or with some bubbly water or wine.