A wickedly dissident revision of the original recipe, this is a supper dish in its own right or a great accompaniment to roast meats.
- 1 cauliflower, trimmed and cut into 1cm/0.5in pieces
- 10oz/300g cream cheese
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 4oz/125g blue cheese, crumbled
- 1oz/25g walnuts, roughly chopped
- 2oz/50g cheddar cheese, grated
- freshly ground black pepper
- watercress salad
1. Steam the cauliflower for about 7 minutes, or until tender. Drain the steaming water and return the cauliflower to the hot pan.
2. Mix the cream cheese and mustard with the cauliflower, then stir in the blue cheese. Season with a little salt if necessary and plenty of pepper.
3. Pour the mixture into a shallow gratin dish. Scatter the walnuts on top, then cover with the cheddar (this helps to prevent the walnuts from burning). Place under a preheated hot grill for 10-15 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the inside hot and bubbling.
4. Serve at once with a watercress salad.
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 10 mins